From the Landsat mosaics, the classifications that result in land cover and land use maps are carried out for each year. Within the logic proposed by MapBiomas, the maps will be updated every time there is an improvement in the classification algorithms. The classification methodology is dynamic and procedural, with the purpose of improving the classification of each typology.
Important: when composing a single mosaic or calculating statistics on maps it should be noted that:
- For area calculation, it is necessary to use an appropriate metric projection.
- All data is in GeoTiff format and has LZW compression. To get the reference of the codes with the caption classes link.
Access options to the most current MapBiomas collection:
- Browsing online through the MapBiomas dashboard: https://plataforma.pampa.mapbiomas.org
- Access the data asset in Google Earth Engine:
- Download by state, biome, municipality and any other desired geometry using Toolkits prepared in Google Earth Engine (GEE).
- Directly download of land cover and land use maps from MapBiomas Pampa Trinational Collection 2 in GeoTiff format (one map per year):
Example for year 1985: https://storage.googleapis.com/mapbiomas-public/initiatives/pampa/images_tiff/pampa_coverage_1985.tif
For other years, just change the final year of the link. Available from 1985 to 2021.
Download detailed map of Argentina:
Example for year 1985: https://storage.googleapis.com/mapbiomas-public/initiatives/pampa/images_tiff/coverage-alternative-version/pampa_coverage_alternative_1985.tif
View the land cover and land use maps of Argentina, including the separation of agriculture and pasture classes, on the Google Earth Engine platform: click here.