WHAT IS THE MAPBIOMAS PAMPA SUDAMERICANO INITIATIVE?
MapBiomas Pampa Sudamericano is an initiative that involves a collaborative network of specialists from Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay in topics such as land use, satellite remote sensing, GIS and programming. Our objective is to understand the processes of transformation that take place in the territory of the Pampa Sudamericano through the annual monitoring of land cover and land use changes. It uses cloud processing and automated classifiers developed and operated from the Google Earth Engine platform to generate a historical series of annual maps of land cover and land use in the Pampa Sudamericano.
MapBiomas Pampa Sudamericano starts in January 2020 as a continuation of the MapBiomas Brazil project. Since previous works developed in the Brazilian Pampa and with the incorporation of participants from Uruguay and Argentina, a unified map of all Pampa Sudamericano region is developed. Brazilian partners include Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS) and GeoKarten. In Uruguay are participating Universidad de la República, Instituto Nacional de Investigación Agropecuaria (INIA) and Ministerio de Ambiente. In Argentina participates Instituto Nacional de Tecnología Agropecuaria (INTA), Instituto de Matemática Aplicada from Universidad de San Luis (IMASL) and Fundación Vida Silvestre (FVSA). MapBiomas Pampa Sudamericano represents a qualitative leap in the automation of processes, the generation and diffusion of spatial information of the Pampa Sudammericano. Its objective is to generate the annual maps of land cover and use for the Pampa Sudamericano region based on the adaptation of methodologies developed for the biomes of Brazil by the MapBiomas team.
- Contribute to the understanding of land cover and use dynamics in the Pampa Sudamericano, based on the development and implementation of a fast, reliable and low-cost methodology to generate annual maps of land cover and use, from 2000 to the present (and then updating annually).
- Creation of a web platform to facilitate the dissemination of the methodology and access to results: Products and Sub-products.
- Establish a collaborative network of specialists in the countries to map land use and cover and dynamics of change.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE INITIATIVE
- Networking with the responsible institutions of the different countries.
- Distributed and automated data processing through an alliance with Google Earth Engine.
- Work oriented to generate an open and multipillable platform.
- Collaborative platform designed to incorporate and welcome the contributions of the scientific community interested in collaborating.
- Collaborative platform - designed to incorporate contributions from the scientific community and others interested in collaborating.